Kate Boulos and English Setters

Kate Boulos and English Setters
Cedar Ridge Charm and Cedar Ridge Doll at Watermelon Pond Plantation

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Training the Upland Gun Dog English Setter, Mitzie



I've trained a lot of upland gun dogs during my 28 years as a professional bird dog trainer. Many I remember, a great percentage of them due to their degree of difficulty in training. Some I remember more than others, perhaps because of the distinct personalities each dog possesses, others because of the relationships that have been formed with their owners.
One particular dog that fits both criterion, I have trained and boarded off and on for several years. She is an English Setter from excellent lineage. Her name is Mitzie. Her owner George Milligan of Orlando, Florida is an avid upland bird hunter and fly fisherman. George never fails to bring me some goodies from his recent fly fishing adventures throughout the world. The Alaskan Salmon is particularly delicious.
My nickname for Mitzie is "Princess" due to the fact that she is unbelievably spoiled and also very hard headed. Her intelligence makes her very difficult to train as she always seems to be one step ahead of me. She is constantly a work in progress. Retrieving, I would put mildly, is not her forte. Getting her to fetch a dead bird was a battle of wills, which at most times, I believe she won. Gradually, we have made progress and she has finally resigned herself to begrudgingly deliver a bird almost to hand. George and Mitzie share a great bond and hunt in many different areas of the country. She has an exceptional nose, loads of drive and tons of stamina. She has becoming proficient in handling many types of upland games birds, including quail, grouse and woodcock. Although she has been trying at times, I have a special place in my heart for her and always look forward to the times she spends with me here at Cedar Ridge

No comments:

Post a Comment